Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hop Against Homophobia

 

Hi everyone,

Welcome to my portion of your Hop Against Homophobia. Whoo-hoo!

Hop 2

As stated by another fabulous author of m/m romance, I’m so proud that I can spread a positive message of  equality through my writing when it comes to romance and love . Both of my novellas, On Thin Ice and Bloodlines touch on prejudice against the gay character’s lifestyle from either immediate family members to political pressure or both.

I’m so impressed and awed by the strength shown by many of our friends and acquaintances in the LGBT community. The majority have overcome so much pain, pressure, and bullying in their lives. You are an inspiration and shining example of the enduring human spirit. This day is for YOU!

International Day Against Homophobia

Hippie_Heart

Established by the Foundation Emergence, the International Day Against Homophobia is about hope for a prejudice free society. As we’ve seen in the media, and I’m sure very close to home for some, prejudice breeds bullying. And the domino effect has shown to bring about dire consequences. Unlike in my fictional world, many young people have resorted to suicide instead of facing another day of pain. Such a tragic loss of beautiful, talented young men and women to our planet.

The International Day Against Homophobia is May 17…Here’s to taking one day’s message and spreading it all year long. Wipe out Homophobia!

Below are a couple sites/organizations I found online and appear to be doing great work for young people in the LGBT community.

http://www.glsen.org/cgi-bin/iowa/all/home/index.html

http://www.itgetsbetter.org/

On a fun note, I love reading about great characters in romance who have overcome amazing obstacles. One example is the wonderful series by Tere Michaels—Faith, Love, and Devotion. Their romance really touched me. What about you? What books have you read that left you inspired by their challenges?

To one randomly chosen commenter, I’d like to offer one of the two m/m novella titles from my backlist: On Thin Ice or Bloodlines.

The giveaway will run from May 17th – 20th. On May 21st, I’ll contact the winner by email, and after they respond, I’ll post the winner here on my blog.

15 comments:

KimberlyFDR said...

Love should always triumph over hate and I believe it always will :)

KimberlyFDR
kimberlyFDR@yahoo.com

JoAnna said...

I love M/M books. In some books I have read it is not even questioned it is just a way of life. In others they struggle with what is expected and how people will react. I enjoy them them both.

Beckerjo at verizon dot net

Andrea said...

I like the characters that have overcome huge obstacles too.

andreagrendahl AT gmail DOT com

kerry said...

Thank you for being part of this hop and shining a spotlight on this very important cause.

musings-of-a-bookworm@hotmail.co.uk

Foretta said...

I showed a bunch of these post to the teens in my family to show them how hurt some "innocent" remarks are to many others. I get so annoyed when my nephew says "you're so gay". ERRRR drove me crazy. I know he didn't mean anything by it but it is so wrong to use that as a saying. I think that these post have helped. Thank you all for sharing with us!
forettarose@yahoo.com

Stacie said...

Carol Lynne's Bodyguards in Love series has several characters who were victims of hate. One man was rejected by his strict father. Another young man was tortured by a sick villian. Another man suffered brain damage as a child. Each of these men overcame their past abuse to find the men they love. Watching their struggles broke my heart. Carol Lynne's Brier's Bargain was the first m/m romance I ever read.

geishasmom73 AT yahoo DOT com

Yvette said...

Thanks for participating for this wonderful cause of awareness…I teach high schoolers and this is a topic that we discuss at length. I just want them to be aware and know that they have the power to change the world!
Yvette
yratpatrol@aol.com

L.M. Brown said...

Thanks for participating in the blog hop.

I don't know about inspiring but The Soccer Field is Empty by Mark Roeder (book three of his Gay Youth Chronicles) definitely touched me deeply. It is heartbreaking and definitely has to be read with a box of tissues to hand.

lmbrownauthor at gmail dot com

N.J. Nielsen said...

I agree with L.M.Brown. The soccer field is empty is one of the most gut wrenching books I have ever read and so were the ones before it (Outfield Menace and Snow Angel) Most of he Gay Youth Chronicles series is a must read. Tissues will be needed in more than one.

Jibriel said...

I would agree about Tere Michaels books, they are really moving.

Jibriel.O at web dot de

Erica Pike said...

I still have over 150 blogs to read before tonight, and I'll never make it at this rate - especially since my ex decided to drop the kids off super early - so I'm leaving a quick thank you for taking part and please enter me into your contest (call me greedy, but I am a lover of books!). Then I'm reading the blogs at my lazure - without the time limit. I love reading these blogs. Each and every entry is amazing.

Erica
eripike at gmail dot com

wulf said...

Thanks for participating in this hop. I'm enjoying all the great blog posts.

penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

gigi said...

Thanks for participating in the HOP.

gisu29(at)gmail(dot)com

Layladawna said...

Thanks for participating in the hop. I have heard some many sad stories and so many inspirational ones. Its been an amazing experience

layladawna AT hotmail DOT com

Peggy said...

Thanks for the post. The hop has been great.

peggy1984@live.com

Post a Comment